My kids like date squares, so I decided to try making them gluten free this time, and I also replaced some of the oat flakes with quinoa flakes. The end outcome was pleasantly surprise!
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 60 minutes
2 hours cooling time
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) of organic Mejdool dates
- 1 cup (250ml) of water
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) of organic whole brown sugarIMG_0222
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/4 (312ml) of organic oatmeal
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of quinoa flakes
- 3/4 cup (187.5ml) of organic brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup (62.5ml) of organic tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of finely chopped organic walnuts
- 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) of baking powder
- 3/4 cup (187.5ml) of vegan butter
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- In a small pot, put the pitted and chopped dates and cook for about 5 minutes or until it turn into puree, then let them cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, the quinoa flakes, the rice flour, the tapioca starch, the walnuts and the baking powder.
- Add the butter to the oat mix. If you have a little mixer, it can be a bit easier.
- Take an 8″x8″ oven square dish and line it with parchment paper, it is very sticky and can be hard to remove.
- Put half of the oatmeal mix at the bottom and press firmly to make it even.
- Then add the date mix and spread evenly.
- Finish with the balance of the oatmeal mix.
- Put it in the oven for 55 minutes.
- When you take it out of the oven, let it cool for at least 2 hrs before you remove it from it’s dish or else nothing will hold together.
What are our readers’ thoughts on this?
To be honest, I’m surprised at how simple this was to create. It’s delicious, but not at all sugary, which is exactly what I expected. My only change to the recipe was to reduce the nuts in half due to allergies in my family, and it still tasted delicious.
I prepared these for dessert last night. These are extremely delicious! I shall make them again.
I am sending one of my neighbors some today to test. I made a few adjustments, but I believe most people would like it.
I made these a few months ago and they were a big success. I used butter instead of butter replacement. I also mixed in some candied ginger.