When I was a youngster, my mother used to prepare us stuffed zucchinis with minced beef and grated cheese on top when we had a barbecue. Therefore, as I was considering what to cook on my own grill this week, I recalled this recipe and just tweaked it to make it vegan. After finishing the final one, I discovered that it was the last one remaining for me, so I guess things went well. Have fun with it!
Time to prepare: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 30 minutes
- 6 zucchinis
- 1 cup (250ml) of organic red lentils
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) of water
- 1 cup (250ml) of cooked organic rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of organic raisins
- 1 tsp. (5ml) of curry powder
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) of nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a small pot, put your lentils in salty water and cook them for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. I find that salt makes a big difference in the taste when you add it during the cooking.
- In the meantime, cut the zucchinis in half and empty the soft part in the middle. It will make like little boats.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the raisins, the curry powder, the nutritional yeast and the cooked rice and stir well.
- Fill the zucchinis with the lentil mix and put a drizzle of olive oil on them.
- Heat the BBQ and put the zucchinis on the grill for about 10 minutes.
- Serve them with a salad or some raw vegetables.
What are our readers’ thoughts on this recipe?
It looks delectable! I like how you included lentils to increase the protein content of the meal. I especially like the addition of nutritional yeast to the dish. This meal has a lovely taste and is quite healthful!
The presentation is fantastic! This meal looks great and would go well with a barbeque. This recipe seems to be simple to create and packed with nutritious components.
This dish seems to be delicious!! And it’s easy! I’ve been trying to eat more protein, but it always seems to be inadequate. If I could locate meals with adequate protein, they would be prohibitively costly for me right now. Cooking at home helps to alleviate this issue, although there are still concerns with frying meals, etc.
I’m a vegetarian and would want to give this a try. I’ve been seeking for excellent meat substitutes and have had some success with beans, but never with lentils. Thank you for your contribution.
Hello, Diane. I will have to try this recipe! I believe it’s a fantastic idea to make stuffed zucchini with lentils! With grilling season upon us, this would be an excellent meal to try!
Diane, This is fantastic! I really like the concept of utilizing zucchinis as boats. This will be put to my recipe collection.
Title: Stuffed grilled zucchinis Last but not least, Title: Zucchini and lentils
When I was a youngster, my mother used to prepare us stuffed zucchinis with minced beef and grated cheese on top when we had a barbecue. Therefore, as I was considering what to cook on my own grill this week, I recalled this recipe and just tweaked it to make it vegan. After finishing the final one, I discovered that it was the last one remaining for me, so I guess things went well.